Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Winged Earmuffs

Back again with another project based on Heart E's winged accessories. This time, for winter!

I adore you Heart E

This is another super quick project that requires very little fabric! Heres the pattern I made! (***Select "fit to printable area" to get it to be the right size. The size of the headpiece pattern should be 9 in long from the edge to the fold line. If this doesn't work, please let me know! I'm my own beta tester 😖***)

Materials: 

  • Fleece
  • Sherpa
  • Ribbon (im using satin poly ribbon, but the originals have velveteen ribbon!)
  • Quilt batting/stuffing
You should have:
  • 1 fleece & 1 sherpa base
  • 4 fleece wings
  • 2 pompoms
  • 2  60 cm/24 in lengths of ribbon
  1. Assemble pom poms:
  2. Stitch the ribbon to the right side of a pompom like so

  3. Gather and stuff the pompoms but don't gather the ribbon. Before you start doing all the closing stitches, fold the edge of the ribbon to be on the inside of the pom. (I can make a video myself if anyone is confused!)
  4. After pompom is secured to the end of the ribbon, pin the free end onto the right side of the fleece. You can stitch this into place or just leave it pinned.
  5. Pin sherpa and fleece right sides together. Leave a gap on one side to turn it right sides out. You can pin the ribbon in the center to make sure you dont accidentally go over it with the machine.
  6. Notch the curved edges and turn right sides out
  7. To make the wings see this tutorial
  8. Pin the wings about an inch from the bottom and half an inch or so from the front. Try them on to see how they look!
  9. There are a few ways of attatching the wings.
    1. The easiest is to machine stitch them down through all the layers. 
    2. Stitch them down by hand. To do this, you need to have that little opening still. With the needle between the sherpa and fleece layer, back stitch the wings to the sherpa along the lines on the wings.
  10. Ladder stitch the opening closed and you're done! 
If you're not into the wings there are a whole bunch of other designs you can place over your cold cold ears. Maybe you could applique strawberries, or maybe add some ribbon bows, plush bows, trumps, maybe rick rack and embroidery, or just some more pom poms

Here's my pair!

I made these to twin with my friend! They've been super nice in the cold! The only problem is they have a tendancy to slip forward but I've just been pushing them further back on the crown of my head and that fixed that! My friend told me that he just ties it tightly and theres no problem.

As always, thank you for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment